English Learners (ELs) are those students in Wyoming schools whose primary language is other than English. English Learners enter Wyoming schools with a variety of language backgrounds, educational experiences and levels of English proficiency. Wyoming State educational agencies, local education agencies and schools are held accountable for increasing English proficiency and core academic content knowledge of English learners.
Title III of the federal accountability law is part of the legislation enacted to ensure that English learners, including immigrant children and youth, develop English proficiency and meet the same academic content and academic achievement standards that other children are expected to meet. To meet Title III requirements, states are mandated to identify and annually administer a standards-based English language proficiency test to all English Learners (ELs) in grades K – 12. In order to comply with the federal requirement of an annual English Language Proficiency Assessment for ELs, Wyoming joined the WIDA consortium in 2009. The WIDA consortium’s goal is to provide research based assessments, standards, and professional development to its member states. WIDA provides Wyoming with a placement test called the W-APT (WIDA ACCESS Placement Test) as well as the annual English Language Proficiency Assessment for ELs ACCESS for ELLs (Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State). These assessments are based on WIDA’s five English Language Development (ELD) standards.
- Important Notice on Changes Related to ELs – April 26, 2017 (PDF)
- Q&A Session – Changes Concerning ELs (VIDEO)
- 2018-2019 Active EL Identification and Reporting Guidebook (PDF)
- ACCESS and ALT ACCESS Irregularity Report Form
- ACCESS and ALT ACCESS Student Not Tested Form
- Fillable IEL Plan (IELP)
- FAQ for ELLs (DOCX)
- EL Program Type Definitions (PDF)
- EL Plan Basics Checklist (PDF)
- Sample Monitor Form (Elementary) (DOCX)
- Sample Monitor Form (Secondary) (DOCX)
- Flowchart for WIDA Screener 1st-12th grade (PDF)
- Flowchart for KW-APT Screener 1st Semester (PDF)
- Flowchart for KW-APT Screener 2nd Semester (PDF)
EL Public Data/Public Reports
- District and State EL Totals
- Public Report on Student Proficiency Data
For Parents of English Learners
The WDE works to ensure that students learning English, called English Learners, have equal rights and access to a high-quality education.
- Parent(s) complete the student’s Home Language Survey (HLS) listing a language other than English; and,
- Based on language tests, the student shows a need for English Learner services and instruction to gain skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing academic English, the language needed for success in school.
A home language survey is completed for all students who enroll in a district. The HLS is the first step in determining whether a student is eligible for English Learner programs and services.
When a student is first identified as an English Learner, parents must be notified of English Learner services available to the student. Districts that receive Title III funding from the federal government are required to notify parents every year that their child receives English Learner services. All parents have the option of declining English Learner services.
WDE and WIDA (World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment) Materials
- 2007 WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards – Grade Level Clusters PreK-5 (PDF)
- 2007 WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards – Grade Level Clusters 6-12 (PDF)
- 2012 Amplification of WIDA’s English Language Development Standards – Grades K-12 (PDF)
- 2014 WIDA English Language Development Standards – 2.5-5.5 Years (PDF)
WDE offers professional development and support opportunities for educators to learn about teaching students who are English Learners.
- Creating an English Learner Guidebook PowerPoint – March 6, 2018
- Questions and Answers – March 6, 2018
- Creating an IEL Plan For Your Student – May 23, 2018
- Supporting Our English Learners-September 27, 2018
- Meeting the Needs of English Learners-February 27, 2019
- Questions and Answers-February 27, 2019
- Recording of Quarterly Webinar-Meeting the Needs of English Learners-February 27, 2019
- Language Development Among Young Dual Language and English Learners
February 20, 2018 12:00 p.m.-2 p.m.
- Providing Supports for ELs Webinar
- September 24, 2018 3:45 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
WIDA Workshops Provided by WDE
- Lesson Planning Workshop in Casper, Wyoming
January 17-18, 2018 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Presented by Suzanne Johar, 1 PTSB Credit awarded
- Interpreting ACCESS for ELLs Score Reports for Instruction (With information about Alternate ACCESS) in Casper and Riverton, Wyoming
June 7 & June 8, 2018 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Presented by Terri Mossgrove, .5 PTSB Credit awarded
- Lesson Plan Share Space
Click on the link for ongoing WIDA ACCESS 2.0 webinars and Q&A sessions
- September 10-11: Support Multilingual Learners Workshop – Cody
- September 24: Providing Supports for ELs Webinar 3:30 – 5:00
- September 27: Quarterly EL Webinar facilitate by the WDE 3:45 – 5:00
- November 5: ACCESS 2.0 Test Coordinator Training & Online Test Administrator Training 8:00 – 4:00 – Evanston
- December 3: ACCESS 2.0 Test Coordinator Training & Online Test Administrator Training 8:00 – 4:00 – Riverton
- December 18-19: WIDA Engaging ELs in Science Workshop – Green River
- January 14: ACCESS 2.0 Test Coordinator Training 8:00 – 11:00 /ACCESS 2.0 Test Administrator Training 1:00 – 4:00 – Cheyenne
- March 11-12: WIDA Scaffolding Workshop – Sheridan
- May 20: ACCESS 2.0 Interpreting Score Reports for Instruction Workshop – Riverton
- May 21: ACCESS 2.0 Interpreting Score Reports for Instruction Workshop – Casper