The Wyoming Content and Performance Standards serve several purposes. They articulate a set of expectations for what all Wyoming students should know and be able to do, enabling them to be prepared for college and career success and to live a life that contributes to the global community. These expectations are communicated to students, parents, educators, and all other Wyoming stakeholders, and provide a common understanding among educators as to what students should learn at particular grade bands. Standards documents are found on each content area page, found in the gray bar to the right. Standards do not dictate methodology, instructional materials used, or how the material is delivered. Those decisions are made at the local level by school boards and district staff.
- Standards Definitions
- Standards FAQs and Back-to-School Toolkit
- Sign up to receive Standards Updates here. Archived updates are found below.
- Standards in Excel and Resources
Standards Review Process
State law requires the standards in each content area be reviewed every nine years. Content areas are reviewed based on a Standards Review Timeline approved by the State Board of Education, who also set the Implementation Timeline, as seen in the updated WYCPS Review & Implementation Snapshot. The Standards Review Committee considers stakeholder input and follows the Wyoming Standards Design Criteria. The Standards Review Process usually takes 9-18 months to complete and adoption through rules promulgation takes another 4-6 months.
Archived Standards Updates
Sign up to receive Standards Updates here.
- October 17, 2022 Standards Update
- August 24, 2022 Standards Update
- May 19, 2022 Standards Update
- April 13, 2022 Standards Update
- March 8 2022 Standards Update
- January 26, 2022 Standards Update
- December 14, 2021 Standards Update
- October 1, 2021 Standards Update
- September 3, 2021 Standards Update
- April 30, 2021 Standards Update
- April 22, 2021 Special Edition – Newly Adopted Standards
- March 24, 2021 Standards Update
- February 18, 2021 Standards Update
- January 20, 2021 Standards Update
- November 25, 2020 Standards Update
- October 28, 2020 Standards Update
- October 8, 2020 Special Edition – Math & Computer Science Public Comment
- September 24, 2020 Standards Update
- September 15, 2020 Special Edition – Science Performance Standards
- August 25, 2020 Standards Update
Wyoming Content and Performance Standards
State law (§21-9-101(b)(i) & (iii))requires that school districts provide educational programs for a core of knowledge and skills.
Common core of knowledge:
- Reading/language arts;
- Social studies;
- Fine arts and performing arts;
- Physical education;
- Health and safety;
- Career/vocational education;
- Foreign cultures and languages;
- Government and civics including state and federal constitutions pursuant to W.S. 21-9-102;
- Computer Science.
Common core of skills:
- Problem solving;
- Interpersonal communications;
- Computational thinking and computer applications;
- Critical thinking;
- Life skills, including personal financial management skills.
WDE Chapter Policy Rules
Chapter 10: Wyoming Content and Performance Standards
Please note: Draft versions can be found on the Standards Review page.
Common Core State Standards
In June 2012, Wyoming adopted the Common Core State Standards as its standards in English/Language Arts. No amendments were made to the original Common Core State Standards.