Early Learning is a critical component of a child’s education. Research has linked early intervention with both cognitive and socio-emotional gains since the early 20th century, and clearly shows that children enrolled in a form of early learning programs benefit by receiving an education before kindergarten.
Studies show that children enrolled in these programs showcase the following benefits:
- Better behavioral patterns
- Higher IQ scores when enrolling in kindergarten
- Faster learning
- Higher socio-economic outcomes later in life
- Between 1.3% to 3.5% higher income over the course of their careers
Likewise, studies show that children that are behind when they enter kindergarten tend to remain behind for their entire educational career, and even beyond. These gaps in achievement are difficult and expensive to close with K-12 education alone, and the improved earnings show that early intervention is an intelligent investment.
Early Childhood Care and Education
Early childhood care and education (ECCE) is more than preparation for primary school. It aims at the holistic development of a child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical needs in order to build a solid and broad foundation for lifelong learning and well-being. ECCE has the possibility to nurture caring, capable and responsible future citizens.
Did You Know
The overwhelming evidence shows that children who enter kindergarten behind are likely to remain behind throughout their educational careers and beyond. These gaps in achievement are difficult and expensive to close with K-12 education alone. We can help ensure children show up to kindergarten ready to learn by providing our youngest learners with options to access high-quality early childhood programs from ages zero to five—where they can develop the full range of skills necessary to be successful in school and life.
Read more here:
The importance of early childhood education
Benefits of Early Childhood Education
- Topic: Beginning Reading
- Emergent and Early Literacy
- Read Together to Support Early Literacy
- Amy’s Early Literacy Practices Power Point
- WDE’s Literacy website
- Amy Reyes SEL Presentation
- Wyoming Early Learning Standards
- 2013 Early Learning Foundations
- 2014 WIDA English Language Development Standards – 2.5-5.5 Years
- Resources for Early Learning
- How To Make A Laptop Child-Proof Or Kid-Proof
- Early Learning Guidance