- WY-TOPP Portal Page
- AG’s Response to Opt-outs
- WY-TOPP/WY-ALT Accommodations and Accessibility Guide
- Assessment Best Practices
- Allowable Resource Guidelines-Online Testing
- Allowable Resource Guidelines-Paper Testing
- Communication Device Policy
- Communication Device Policy (Editable)
- Cut Scores
- State Assessment Exemption Request (SAER) System
- SAER Tutorial
- Understanding Quantile Measures (Video)
- Understanding Student Growth
WY-TOPP Assessments (Grades K-10)
The Wyoming Test of Proficiency and Progress (WY-TOPP) is a system of interim, modular on-demand, and summative assessments in reading, mathematics, and science. The WY-TOPP interim assessments in reading and mathematics are administered in fall for grades 1-10, in winter for grades 3-10, and in spring for grades K-2. The WY-TOPP science assessment is administered in grades 4, 8, and 10. The WY-TOPP writing assessment is administered in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9. The WY-TOPP summative assessments are administered late-spring in grades 3-10.
WY-TOPP Summative Assessments
For grades 3-10, the WY-TOPP summative assessments are online adaptive assessments for math and English language arts. Students in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9 are assessed in writing. Grade 4, 8, and 10 students are assessed in science. The science assessment is a fixed-form online assessment.
- Online with multiple item types (e.g., enhanced multiple-choice, constructed response, technology-enhanced performance task).
- Testing time is limited to 1% of the school year (e.g., 9 hours for elementary, 10 for middle school, and 11 for high school); this is for “actual testing time” and does not include test prep, breaks, or time reading the instructions.
WY-TOPP Interim Assessments
The WY-TOPP Fall and Winter interim assessments are optional online adaptive assessments. All Interims for ELA and Math, K-10 are optional to school districts.
WY-TOPP Modular Assessments
The WY-TOPP modular assessments are optional online formative assessments that are available for grades 1-11 and can be administered on-demand throughout the school year. Modular assessments are short assessments that focus on a specific topic or skill e.g. ratios and proportional relationships. Results from the modular assessments will be available immediately after students complete the assessment. Participating in modular assessments can help instructors inform instruction and help students and teachers gain familiarity with the online test platform and tools.
WY-TOPP Writing Assessments
Writing is assessed on the WY-TOPP summative assessment in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9. The writing assessment will include 1 stand-alone prompt. Because of the adaptiveness of the exam students in grades 3 and 5 will be presented with an opinion or an informative/explanatory prompt. Students in grades 7 and 9 will be presented with an argumentative or an informative/explanatory prompt.
Writing is available to be assessed on the optional WY-TOPP interim assessments in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9. The same breakdown of prompt types applies to the interim as the summative.
Writing is also available for grades 3-10 on the optional modular assessments. Grades 3-5 writing modular assessments will include opinion and informative/explanatory prompts. Grades 6-10 writing modular assessments will include argumentative and informative/explanatory prompts.