Resources for Parents, Guardians, and Students

Wyoming Department of Education > For District Leadership > Federally Funded Programs > Homeless Education > Resources for Parents, Guardians, and Students

Contact Information

Homeless Education
Shannon Cranmore
(307) 777-3672

Many families in transition don’t always know what resources and services are available to them, they don’t know what rights and protections their children have in school, and they don’t know where to go for help. We are here to help! If you are currently in transition and do not have stable or adequate housing, your first step is to contact your local school district liaison. Find your local liaison here to see if you are eligible to receive McKinney-Vento services. If you are not able to reach your local liaison or if you need additional assistance or guidance, please contact the Homeless Education State Coordinator listed above.

How Can We Help?

If you or your family are in a temporary or inadequate living situation due to loss of housing, we can help!

If you are living in any of the following situations:

  • Shared housing with other friends or families
  • Runaway/homeless youth, and students who are not living with a parent or legally court-appointed guardian
  • Temporary or transitional housing
  • Emergency and domestic violence shelters
  • Motels or hotels
  • Campgrounds or inadequate trailer homes
  • Substandard housing (homes without heat, water, or working appliances)
  • Cars, abandoned buildings, parks, the streets or other public spaces

We may be able to help you or your child:

  • Enroll in school
  • Remain in your school if you move to another area
  • Provide transportation to and from school
  • Receive free school meals
  • Provide clothing, school supplies and any other items required to attend school or participate in extra-curricular activities
  • Assist with school fees
  • Social referrals
  • Other services
  • And much, much more

If you are living in any of the following situations:

You or your McKinney-Vento eligible children have the right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference. *If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs. Children with special education needs between the ages of 3 and 21 are eligible to receive special needs services. If you believe your child may be eligible, contact your school or the district Special Education office.


If you are in an unsafe situation and need help immediately, Dial 9-1-1

You can also receive assistance from these resources:

Reference Links and Documents