The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP), established in 1962 by the U.S. Senate Resolution, is a unique educational experience for outstanding high school students interested in pursuing careers in public service. Each year all fifty (50) states, the District of Columbia and the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) open an application, hold interviews and select two (2) outstanding high school students to attend Washington Week as student delegates.
During Washington Week, student delegates will hear major policy addresses by senators, cabinet members, officials from the Departments of State and Defense and directors of other federal agencies, as well as usually participate in meetings with the President and a justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Washington Week expenses such as, all transportation, hotel and meal expenses will be provided by The Hearst Foundations. Additionally, each delegate who attends the program will also be awarded a $10,000 college scholarship for undergraduate studies.
The 62nd annual United States Senate Youth Program Washington Week is being planned to be held in person in Washington, D.C. March 2–9, 2024.
Wyoming’s application for the 2024 program will be open: August 21 – October 23, 2023.
Qualified applicants can be a junior or senior who are actively serving in an elected or appointed capacity in student government, civic, or education organization during the duration of the current 2023-2024 academic school year.
- Student body president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer.
- Class president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer.
- Student Council representative.
- National Honor Society officer (including discipline-based Honor Societies such as the National English Society and Social Studies Honor Societies that include service components).
- Student representative (elected or appointed by a panel, commission, or board) to a local, district, regional, or state-level civic, service, and/or educational organization approved by the state selection administrator.
- Students who hold officer-level leadership positions within their cadet corps, often called Cadet Corps Commander. (JROTC cadet alone will NOT qualify).
Students will need to complete the online application. The school principal and or school contact will be notified after the application is submitted to confirm requirements.
Applications must be submitted before October 23, 2023 at 12:00 a.m. to be considered. Finalists will be notified and scheduled to interview during the first/second weeks of November. Wyoming will select two (2) delegates to attend Washington Week and two (2) alternates to take their place at Washington Week if needed. Students selected must attend the entire Washington Week to receive the $10,000.00 scholarship. Washington Week for the 2024 United States Senate Youth Program will take place on March 2 – 9, 2024 in Washington, D.C.
2023 Washington Week