Education Savings Account

Wyoming Department of Education > For Parents & Students > Education Savings Account

The Wyoming Education Savings Act was signed into law on March 21, 2024 and is governed by W.S. §§ 21‑2‑901 through 21‑2‑909. Applications for the 2025-26 school year will begin being accepted January 1, 2025.

Who qualifies to receive an ESA?

  • Wyoming residents age 4 years and in pre-k through grade 12. 
  • Families with a household income below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines (approximately $46,800 for a family of four).
  • Students not enrolled in a public school for the 2025-26 school year.

What is the amount?

  • Eligible students can receive $6,000 annually, deposited into an ESA account for their educational expenses.

How can I use an ESA?

Families can use ESA funds for various education expenses, including:

  • Tuition and fees at a participating school;
  • Tutoring services; 
  • Classes or extracurricular activities at a traditional public or public charter school; 
  • Textbooks and curriculum; 
  • Educational technology; 
  • School uniforms; 
  • Fees for summer education programs and after-school education; 
  • Educational therapies like behavioral or speech-language therapy;
  • Costs for college admission tests and AP exams;
  • Transportation costs to education service providers.

Where can I use my ESA?

  • The WDE is developing a certification process to approve pre-k and non-public primary and secondary schools per the law. 
  • A list of certified education service providers, including individuals, organizations, and schools, will be published on this website when available.  

What are the requirements for participation?

  • Parents must ensure their children receive instruction in core subjects and take annual proficiency tests.

Can my student receive an ESA and remain in a public school?

No, a participating student cannot be enrolled in a public school while receiving an ESA. However, families can use ESA funds to buy services from participating public school districts.