English Learners (ELs) are those students in Wyoming schools whose primary language is other than English. English Learners enter Wyoming schools with a variety of language backgrounds, educational experiences and levels of English proficiency. Wyoming State educational agencies, local education agencies and schools are held accountable for increasing English proficiency and core academic content knowledge of English learners.
Wyoming is part of the WIDA (World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment) Consortium, a member-based organization, which provides a flexible suite of tests suitable for all students in Grades K-12 who have been identified as Active English language learners. WIDA is dedicated to the design and implementation of high standards and equitable educational opportunities for English language learners which offers programming for identifying and annually assessing the English language development of its English learners.
English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards and Assessment of ELs
- ELP Standards: WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards
- ELP Assessment: WIDA-ACCESS for ELLs
- ACCESS for ELLs Exit Criteria – 4.6 or better Composite Scorer AND 4.3 or better on Literacy. More information can be found on the Cut Score page.
- ALT ACCESS for ELLs Exit Criteria – A composite performance level score of P1 or higher.
Federal Statutes, Guidance, and Resources for Serving ELs
- USDE Civil Rights for ELLs Webpage
- OCR Requirements for ELs
- Office of English Language Acquisition
- US Department of Education
- English Learner Family Toolkit
- Newcomer Toolkit
- Dear Colleague Letter – No Opt Out
- English Learner Toolkit (OELA)
- Every Student Succeeds Act
- Title III Non-Regulatory Guidance
Wyoming State Guidance and Resources
- Assessment Calendar
- WIDA Wyoming Page
- Professional Development Opportunities provided by WDE
- Important Notice on Changes Related to ELs – April 26, 2017 (PDF)
- 2020-2021 Active EL Identification and Reporting Guidebook (PDF)
- ACCESS and ALT ACCESS Irregularity Report Form
- 2021-2022 ACCESS and ALT ACCESS Student Not Tested Form
- Fillable IEL Plan (IELP)
- FAQ for ELLs (DOCX)
- EL Program Type Definitions (PDF)
- EL Plan Basics Checklist (PDF)
- Sample Monitor Form (Elementary) (DOCX)
- Sample Monitor Form (Secondary) (DOCX)
- Flowchart for WIDA Screener 1st-12th grade (PDF)
- Flowchart for KW-APT Screener 1st Semester (PDF)
- Flowchart for KW-APT Screener 2nd Semester (PDF)
- State Assessment Exemption Request (SAER) System
- SAER Tutorial
- See the Quarterly Webinars For EL Students
EL Accessibility Resources
- Designated Supports for ELs on ACT
- WY-TOPP/WY-ALT Accommodations and Accessibility Guide
- WIDA Accessibility and Accommodations Manual
Newsletters – Sign up to receive EL Updates here.
- WIDA Consortium State Profile: Wyoming
- Explaining ELL Status
- Preparing for ACCESS Testing
- ACCESS For ELLs Scores and Reports
- Interpretive Guide for ACCESS Score Reports
Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Resources
- WIDA Family Engagement Resources: Resources to strengthen connections with families.
- ACCESS for ELLs Parent Guide for Score Reports: This flyer explains each piece of score information included in the report.
- ACCESS for ELLs Parent Handouts: when testing is scheduled or as a reminder before scores are shared. This flyer explains what ACCESS is and why students take this kind of assessment. Use this resource to help parents understand annual language proficiency testing.
- ACCESS for ELLs Parent Letters: to accompany ACCESS for ELLs score reports
- Alternate ACCESS for ELLs: Understanding Your Child’s Scores
Other EL Resources:
- Colorin Colorado
- Activities for ESL Students
- All ESL
- A Guide for Engaging ELL Families: Twenty Strategies for School Leaders
- Reading Tip Sheets for EL Educators
- Resources for Elementary ESL Teachers
- Tips for teachers and school leaders on how to integrate the Common Core Standards and English Learners
- Rethinking Policy and Practice in support of English Language Learners (PDF)