Wyoming Help Desk
2019-2020 WY-TOPP Summative, Interim, and Modular testing has been canceled.
The Wyoming Test of Proficiency and Progress (WY-TOPP) is a system of interim, modular on-demand, and summative assessments in English language arts, writing, mathematics, and science. The WY-TOPP interim assessments in reading and mathematics are administered in fall for grades 1-10, in winter for grades 3-10. In spring, the interim reading and math assessments will be administered for grades K-2. The WY-TOPP summative assessments are administered late-spring in grades 3-10 in ELA and mathematics. The WY-TOPP science assessment is administered in grades 4, 8, and 10. The WY-TOPP writing assessment is administered in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9.
WY-TOPP Summative Assessments
For grades 3-10, the WY-TOPP summative assessments are online adaptive assessments for math and English language arts. Students in grade 3, 5, 7, and 9 are assessed in writing. Grade 4, 8, and 10 students are assessed in science. The science assessment is a fixed-form online assessment.
- Online with multiple item types (e.g., enhanced multiple choice, constructed response, technology enhanced, performance task)
- Testing time is limited to 1% of the school year (e.g., 9 hours for elementary, 10 for middle school, and 11 for high school); this is for “actual testing time” and does not include test prep, breaks, or time reading the instructions
- Comparability across states – students’ scores are to be comparable to students’ scores from other states
- Reporting deadline of August 1st to facilitate school improvement activities (Results will not be available until September in 2018 only, as a panel needs to meet and set cut scores for this new assessment)
- Readiness check and training will be conducted to ensure schools have a smooth online test administration
WY-TOPP Interim Assessments
The WY-TOPP Fall and Winter interim assessments are optional online adaptive assessments. Starting the 2018-2019 school year, the Fall interim assessment will be available for grades 1-10 and the Winter interim assessment will be available for grades 3-10. WY-TOPP will have fixed-form Spring interim assessments for grades K-2. K-2 will have a spring mandatory reading interim and an optional math interim.
WY-TOPP Modular Assessments
The WY-TOPP modular assessments are optional online formative assessments that are available for grades 1-10 and can be administered on-demand throughout the school year. Modular assessments are short assessments that focus on a specific topic or skill e.g. ratios and proportional relationships. Results from the modular assessments will be available immediately after students complete the assessment. Participating in modular assessments can help instructors inform instruction and help students and teachers gain familiarity with the online test platform and tools.
WY-TOPP Writing Assessments
Writing is assessed on the WY-TOPP summative assessment in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9. The writing assessment will include 1 stand-alone prompt. Because of the adaptiveness of the exam students in grades 3 and 5 will be presented with an opinion or an informative/explanatory prompt. Students in grades 7 and 9 will be presented with an argumentative or an informative/explanatory prompt.
Writing is available to be assessed on the optional WY-TOPP interim assessments in grades 3, 5, 7, and 9. The same breakdown of prompt types apply to the interim as the summative.
Writing is also available for grades 3-10 on the optional modular assessments. Grades 3-5 writing modular assessments will include opinion and informative/explanatory prompts. Grades 6-10 writing modular assessments will include argumentative and informative/explanatory prompts.
- Allowable Resources for WY-TOPP Online Assessment
- Allowable Resources for WY-TOPP Paper Assessment
- Assessment Best Practices Guide
- Assessment Blueprints and Writing Rubrics
- Desmos Calculator for High School
- Desmos Calculator for Grades 7 and 8
- Desmos Calculator for Grade 6
- Desmos Calculator Webinar (Video)
- District Test Coordinator Webinar Q&A Responses
- Scale Score Proficiency Level Ranges FAQ
- WY-TOPP Parents FAQ
- WY-TOPP Teachers FAQ
- WY-TOPP Cut Scores
WY-TOPP System User Guides
- Test Information Distribution Engine User Guide 2019-2020
- Test Administrator User Guide 2019-2020
- User Roles and Access Guide 2019-2020
Accommodations and Accessibility
Interim and Modular Assessments
- Acceptable Use – Modular and Interim Assessment Items FAQ 2019-2020
- AIRWays Reporting User Guide 2019-2020
- AIRWays Reporting System Webinar (Video)
- AIRWays Reporting System Webinar (Slides)
- Interim and Modular Test Administration Manual FA/WI 2019-2020
- WY-TOPP Interim and Modular Scoring FAQ
- WY-TOPP Winter Interim & Modular Results Webinar (Video)
- Modular Preview System User Guide 2019-2020
- Spring Interim Test Administration Manual
- Summative Test Administration Manual – Online Test
- Summative Test Administration Manual – Paper Test
- Online Reporting System User Guide 2019-2020
- Online Reporting System (ORS) Webinar (Video)
- Online Reporting System (ORS) Webinar for Admin (Slides)
- Online Reporting System (ORS) Webinar for Teachers (Slides)
- Scale Score Proficiency Level Ranges FAQ
- Suggested Testing Times 2019-2020
- Configurations and Troubleshooting – ChromeOS 2019-2020
- Configurations and Troubleshooting – Linux 2019-2020
- Configurations and Troubleshooting – Mac 2019-2020
- Configurations and Troubleshooting – Windows 2019-2020
- Operating System Support Plan for TDS (End-Of-Life) 2019-2020
- Quick Guide for Online Testing Technology Set-Up 2019-2020
- Technology Coordinator Webinar (Video)
- Technology Coordinator Webinar (Slides)