Supervisor of Standards
Language Arts Content & Performance Standards Downloads
- Standards 2012 Language Arts (PDF)
- Standards 2008 Language Arts (PDF)
- Standards 2008 Language Arts (Word)
English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, & Technical Subjects
- Navigating Text Complexity: This site provides educators with a comprehensive definition of quantitative and qualitative dimensions of text complexity. Materials include text complexity placemats, rubrics, suggested text sets, and instructional resources that demonstrate how and why to use these tools.
- Fisher and Frey: Created by literacy experts Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey, this website offers helpful resources and insightful articles for teachers. Some topics include: complex text and struggling readers, examining the composing process, new literacies, effective learning environments, and more.
- Achieve the Core: What does strong student writing aligned to the Common Core look like? In Common provides hundreds of samples of student work from K-12 classrooms across the country. The samples are meant to illustrate how a student’s writing progresses as they gain fluency in the three types of Common Core Writing: opinion/argument writing, informative/ explanatory writing, and narrative writing.
- Teach the Books You Love: At this website teachers share book titles and provide their rationale for instruction. The titles are also analysed for quantitative and qualitative complexity measures (lexile, structure, language conventionality and clarity, knowledge demands, and levels of meaning).