Wyoming Multi-Tiered System of Supports (Wyoming MTSS)
A multi-tiered system of supports, or MTSS, is a framework that focuses on system-level change and continuous improvement across the classroom, school, and district to provide each student with opportunities to maximize academic achievement and develop skills for success.
The Wyoming MTSS Center is a cross-division effort to support local Wyoming educators in developing the knowledge, skills, and infrastructure to effectively implement MTSS. The Center, in partnership with the MTSS Center at the American Institutes for Research, provides high-quality MTSS training, coaching, information, and resources.
Watch “Wyoming MTSS: Supporting All Students” here.
- What support does the Wyoming MTSS Center offer? Learn more here.
Components of MTSS:
- Universal Screening is a systematic process that uses appropriate measures for identifying students who may be at risk for poor learning outcomes, including academic, behavioral, social, emotional, school completion, and college and career readiness outcomes. It’s also used to evaluate the effectiveness of core instruction.
- Progress Monitoring is the use of reliable and valid measures to assess a student’s performance and to quantify a student’s rate of improvement or responsiveness to supplemental instruction and support. It’s also used to evaluate the effectiveness of supplemental instruction.
- Data-based Decision Making occurs at all levels of MTSS implementation, from individual students to the district level. Teams use screening, diagnostic, progress monitoring, classroom assessment, and fidelity data to make decisions about instruction, movement within the multi-level prevention system, intensification of instruction and supports, and identification of students with disabilities (in accordance with state and local policies).
- The Multi-Level Prevention System includes three tiers of intensity for instruction, intervention, and supports. Tier I includes high-quality, schoolwide academic, social, emotional and behavioral programming and supports designed to meet the needs of all students. At Tier II, schools provide small group, standardized academic interventions or targeted behavioral or mental health supports using validated intervention programs to support students identified as at-risk. Tier III includes intensive intervention for students not responding to Tier II through instruction and supports that are intensified and individualized based on student need.
Learn how schools have been using Wyoming MTSS! Hear their stories and lessons learned. Watch “Empowered by Data” and “It’s a Process”
- Fidelity of Implementation Rubric Summary Sheet
- Fidelity of Implementation Rubric
- MTSS Infrastructure Checklist
- MTSS Implementation Guide
- MTSS Initiatives and Content Areas at the WDE
- MTSS Financial Guidance Document
- MTSS Teams Tip Sheet
- MTSS Fidelity Tip Sheet
- NCII Academic Screening Tools Chart
- NCII Behavior Screening Tools Chart
- NCII Academic Progress Monitoring Tools Chart
- NCII Behavior Progress Monitoring Tools Chart
- High-Leverage Practices
- Coaching Institute Modules
- Data-Based Intervention
Infrastructure Tip Sheets
- Prevention Focus
- Leadership Personnel
- School-Based Professional Development
- Cultural and Linguistic Responsiveness
- Communication With and Involvement of Families
- Communication With and Involvement of All Staff
- MTSS Teams
Trainings and Events (PTSB credit is available for attendees):
MTSS Trainings and Event Videos:
Wyoming MTSS Overview
MTSS: Building an Effective Tier 1 System
MTSS: Universal Screening
Tips and Tools for MTSS Implementation in Secondary Schools
MTSS Tier II and III Interventions
MTSS: Effective Progress Monitoring
Leveraging Title I Funds Within a Tiered Intervention System: Implications for Instruction
Leveraging Title I Funds Within a Tiered Intervention System: Implications For Data Literacy
Leveraging Title I Funds Within a Tiered Intervention System: Building Sustainable Systems
MTSS Center Effective Progress Monitoring
MTSS Summit, January 11, 2023
We’re All in the Same Boat: Alignment of Initiatives within MTSS
Leveraging MTSS to Implement Your IEP