Wyoming’s official LMS is Canvas.
Canvas is a Learning Management System, or LMS. It is a collaborative platform used to manage online learning—including reporting, resource-sharing, grading, feedback, discussions, content creation, outcomes and tasks. An LMS simplifies teaching and learning by connecting all the digital tools teachers use in one easy place.
Getting to Know Canvas? Start with Canvas 101.
Why need an LMS?
Enrolled Act 57 was passed during the 2017 legislative session requiring the WDE to provide districts with a Learning Management System (LMS). The WDE in collaboration with the University of Wyoming and five community colleges selected Canvas as the single LMS to create a unified K-20 experience for students and teachers across the state. Utilizing this statewide system, allows students and teachers to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Consistent support of in-class and online instructional practices through the use of Canvas in conjunction with Google and other classroom technology.
- Provide additional educational opportunities to equip our students for success at all levels and to prepare for future educational endeavors.
Canvas Adoption Consultant
Moving from one Learning Management System (LMS) to another can be a challenging experience, and so can implementing an LMS for the first time. Wyoming’s Canvas Adoption Consultant can assist to shorten both the length and depth of the implementation dip, by building familiarity with Canvas, helping to plan for effective rollout, and providing hands-on coaching to both admins and teachers. Using a data-driven approach, we can also help established Canvas schools create targeted training and communication plans to deepen the Canvas experience for admins, teachers, and students.
Meet David Stokowski
Hello Wyoming! I am your dedicated Canvas Adoption Consultant. What does that mean? It means I am committed to working to make Canvas awesome in Wyoming!
I have taught science and math at the university, community college, and K12 levels, most recently in rural Grants, New Mexico (pop. 9,000). I have seen effective uses of Canvas in online and traditional classrooms, as both a teacher and an admin. My goal is to work with your school or district to increase and enhance Canvas usage amongst your teachers and staff to benefit your students.
Contact David at 307-215-3060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to use Wyoming’s Adoption Consultant
- Creation of Localized Communication, Training Plans, & Engagement Plans for Canvas Success
- Delivery of Admin & Teacher Coaching Sessions or Content Review
- Connection of Canvas Best Practices & Pedagogy in Hands-On Workshops
- Implementation of Canvas Templates
- Strategy for Using Canvas with Other School/District Specific Initiatives
- Movement of Staff from Product
- Awareness to Instructional Best Practice
We will have regular video conferences to check on the status of your local communication, training, and planning initiatives. A data-driven approach will help target specific areas for deepening the use of Canvas at your school or district.
Meeting face-to-face can increase participation and success in using Canvas! These visits may be for local admin planning, individualized coaching with teachers, or hands-on workshops. Our visits will be customized to best fit your needs.
We can help with curation and creation of customized resources to support your Canvas journey. By utilizing Instructure documentation, proven adoption resources, and tools for sharing and collaboration, we will guide users toward success.
WyoCourses 2.0 Newsletter
- January 2019
- February 2019
- March 2019
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- July 2019
- August 2019
- September 2019
- October 2019
Canvas Training (Eligible for PTSB Credit)
The WDE has provided unlimited 24×7 online Canvas Cloud Training for all school districts. Visit the Canvas training page to see all available training opportunities.
The Canvas online training webinars are eligible for PTSB credit. In order to claim credit, you must attend seven one-hour webinars from August 1 to July 31 to receive 0.5 credits. Send Robin Grandpre an email to let her know that you have completed your required seven hours so she can provide the completed training information to PTSB to insure you receive credit.
If you are not a Canvas user, contact Robin Grandpre at email@example.com.
The WDE and Canvas will host in-person trainings to introduce participants to Canvas as well as provide in-depth training for those more experienced Canvas users. Whether you are a faculty member, Canvas Admin, Principal, Technical Support, or an Instructional Designer, there are sessions tailored to all audiences.
PTSB credit is available for those that attend the in-person trainings. In order to receive 0.5 credits, you must attend all seven hours of the training. Sign-in sheets will be provided at the training. Please sign in with your PTSB ID.
Contact Robin Grandpre for more information about in-person Canvas trainings.
Who is Using Canvas?
Look and see who is already using Canvas!
- Albany County School District #1
- Big Horn County School District #2
- Big Horn County School District #3
- Big Horn County School District #4
- Carbon County School District #1
- Converse County School District #1
- Converse County School District #2
- Fremont County School District #1
- Fremont County School District #6
- Fremont County School District #24
- Fremont County School District #25
- Fremont County School District #38
- Goshen County School District #1
- Johnson County School District #1
- Laramie County School District #1
- Lincoln County School District #1
- Lincoln County School District #2
- Natrona County School District #1
- Niobrara County School District #1
- Park County School District #1
- Park County School District #16
- Sheridan County School District #2
- Sublette County School District #1
- Sublette County School District #9
- Sweetwater County School District #1
- Teton County School District #1
- Uinta County School District #1
- Washakie County School District #1
- Weston County School District #7
- Central Wyoming College
- Eastern Wyoming College
- Laramie County Community College
- Northern Wyoming Community College District
- University of Wyoming
- Western Wyoming Community College
Want to add your district/institution to the list? Contact Robin Grandpre at firstname.lastname@example.org to get all of the details.
If you need help with Canvas, please start with your school/district IT department. If you continue to have problems, contact Canvas support.