Open Range Wyoming is a statewide repository of openly-licensed educational resources and support Wyoming school districts and educators as they make the transition to the use of high-quality, openly-licensed educational resources in their schools.
What are Open Educational Resources (OER)?
One of the most popular definitions of OER, shared by the Hewlett Foundation, states that: “OER are teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use and re-purposing by others. Open educational resources include full courses, course materials, modules, textbooks, streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or techniques used to support access to knowledge.”
Why is OER Beneficial?
- OERs are “open” and “free” to use, in some cases decreasing expenses as they replace traditional textbooks
- OERs are available online, providing a wider range of access to students and teachers who may be more remote
- The digital nature of OERs means shorter update and dissemination cycles, keeping better pace with new information
- OERs can enhance traditional classroom resources, providing differentiated and/or directed study
- Diverse sources of OER help expand access to information that may not be available locally
- OER promote social responsibility, providing access to information for everyone, everywhere!
Why is Wyoming developing it’s own OER platform?
Wyoming is dedicated to creating and sharing high-quality units, lessons, and resources that have been aligned to current Wyoming State Content Standards. We want to ensure that all resources shared with our educators are of superior quality, are easy to download and customize for their students, and serve as a tool to increase student engagement and achievement.
When will Open Range Wyoming be launched?
Open Range Wyoming will be officially launched in 2019.
Who will be able to utilize Open Range Wyoming?
All educators, parents, and students can access Open Range Wyoming. Wyoming educators will be able to download and customize any teaching resource they find on the site and use it to fit the needs of their students.
Will you need any training to utilize Open Range Wyoming?
No! The Open Range Wyoming website is user friendly and meets all ADA accessibility requirements.
Creative Commons Licensing
Creative Commons helps consumers and creators of media break through the traditional barriers of traditional, all rights reserved copyright. Creators determine the rights they want to allow and use the CC formula to let other’s know what they’ll allow.
- Encourages using, mixing, and reusing materials
- Clearly articulates usage without having to contact the creator
- Provides easy to follow guidelines of acceptable use through free copyright licenses
- Easy to follow symbols to determine usage rights
- CC = Creative Commons
- BY = Attribution
- SA = Share Alike
- NC = Non-Commercial
- ND = No Derivatives
- Rights can be combined to create a license
- BY-SA = Attribution, Share Alike
- BY-NC = Attribution, Non-Commercial
- BY-NC-ND = Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives
For questions about Open Range Wyoming or to share your interest in participating, please contact Alisa Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 307-777-3679.