If you are seeking information about specific school-related discriminations issues, the WDE encourages you to first contact your local school district. School district personnel assigned to receive inquiries, complaints and provide information may include:
- Title IX and Tile VI Compliance Officer
- Section 504/ADA Coordinator (issues related to disabilities)
Methods of Administration for Civil Rights Monitoring
The U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), requires the Wyoming Department of Education to conduct site visits as part of its Vocational Education Methods of Administration civil rights compliance of districts that receive federal funding. On-site reviews are based on U.S. Department of Education regulations implementing Title VI (34 CFR, Part 100), Title IX (34 CFR, Part 106), Section 504 (34 CFR, Part 104), and the Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (28 CFR, Part 35), as well as the Guidelines for Eliminating Discrimination and Denial of Services on the Basis of Race, Color, National Origin, Sex and Disability in Vocational Education Programs (34 CFR, Part 100, Appendix B).
The purpose of onsite reviews is to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the selected districts’ CTE programs, as well as all facilities housing CTE programs or used by CTE-enrolled students to ensure compliance with the following Federal Civil Rights authorities and regulations. Federal law requires that all school districts receiving funding support from the U.S. Education Department, and providing CTE programs shall comply with:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, and national origin) 34 CFR Part 100
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (prohibiting discrimination based on gender) 34 CFR Part 106
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (prohibiting discrimination based on disability) 34 CFR Part 104
- Education Program Guidelines for Eliminating Discrimination and Denial of Services on the Basis of Race, Color, National Origin, Sex and Handicap, published in the Federal Register March 21, 1979 (Guidelines).
U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing: