The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) enters its 57th year of providing high school juniors and seniors with an extensive orientation of all branches of the Federal government and the opportunity to receive a $10,000.00 scholarship.
A qualified applicant is a junior or senior who is actively serving in an elected or appointed capacity in student government, civic, or educational organizations during the entire 2018-19 school year.
- Student body president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer.
- Class president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer.
- Student Council representative.
- National Honor Society officer (including discipline-based Honor Societies such as the National English Society and Social Studies Honor Societies that include service
- Student representative (elected or appointed by a panel, commission, or board) to a local, district, regional, or state level civic, service, and/or educational organization approved by the state selection administrator.
Each applicant will need to fill out Sections A and B of the application. Then, under proctored conditions, fill out Section C. The student and school principal will then sign. There is no test required to apply.
The application and three hard copies must be sent to:
USSYP Program Manager
Wyoming Department of Education
122 West 25th Street, Suite E200
Cheyenne, WY 82002
All incoming application packages must be postmarked by Monday, October 8, 2018. At least eight finalists are anticipated to be interviewed, and the top two interviewees will serve as the delegates from Wyoming for the 57th United States Senate Youth Program, to be held March 2 – 9, 2019 in Washington, D.C.
The delegates will meet United States Senators during a senate reception and tour the Capitol, U.S. Supreme Court Building, and the Pentagon. Each delegate receives a $10,000 scholarship sponsored by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation, and all expenses for Washington, D.C. are paid on the delegates’ behalf.
For questions or requests, please call Bruce Hayes, Program Manager, at (307) 777-6198 or email email@example.com.