About the District Assessment System
The purpose of the K-12 District Assessment System (DAS) is to ensure equity of opportunity for Wyoming students by demonstrating alignment of assessments to the Wyoming Content and Performance Standards in all nine content areas. The DAS should be designed and implemented so that inferences pertaining to equity of educational opportunity are supported by the assessment system. State-required assessments, district assessments, school assessments, and classroom assessments are all included in a balanced district assessment system.
The DAS is evaluated every five (5) years in conjunction with the district accreditation onsite review process.
At a minimum, the District Assessment System must meet these requirements:
- The Wyoming Content and Performance Standards are taught and assessed in all content areas (Chapter 6, Sec. 5 (j)) (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b))
- The assessment system is aligned to the Wyoming Content and Performance Standards in terms of content and cognitive complexity. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(i))
- The district has a process for updating the assessment system within three years of revision of the Wyoming Content and Performance Standards. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(i))
- Levels of student performance for each class or subject are determined through assessment of the standards-aligned content. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(i)(A))
- The assessment system measures the knowledge or skill for the appropriate grade level and content. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(i)(B))
- The assessment system provides every student with multiple opportunities to demonstrate what the student understands, knows, and can do. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(i)(B))
- Levels of student performance for each class or subject are reported to the district through a student information system or another method. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(ii))
- The district has a process in place to evaluate its district assessment system on an ongoing basis. (Chapter 31, Sec. 5 (b)(iii))
- The district graduation policy meets or exceeds the minimum requirements established in Chapter 31, Sec. 4 (a)
- The minimum passing grade for all high school courses incorporates the district definition of proficient performance. (Chapter 31, Sec. 4 (a)(iii)(A))
District Assessment System Guidebook
The Wyoming Department of Education is committed to ensuring that all districts receive guidance to support the development of a robust district assessment system (DAS) that will meet student needs, system needs, and accreditation and accountability requirements. Through the work of the District Assessment System Steering Committee, the following document has been developed to provide guidance for districts.