On September 17, the signing of the U.S. Constitution will be commemorated in schools across the nation. Undoubtedly, many learning opportunities are planned for Wyoming students in your communities. As always, we encourage you to share pictures from your Constitution Day events on social media and either tag us – @WYOEducation on Twitter, or upload a photo to the Wyoming Department of Education page on Facebook – or send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share them out on our social media channels.
Teaching the Constitution to students is a requirement. Beyond this requirement, though, the study of civics is a vital part of any democracy.
With encouragement by the organization Liberty Lives Forever, I joined many other elected officials across the U.S. and made a video that explains the importance of the Constitution and civics education. The video is meant for students and others to view and comment on through social media and YouTube.
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEbvkguV7Q
Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education has provided the following links to teaching and learning resources:
- The USDE Federal Resources for Excellence in Education (FREE) offers more than 25 resources from various federal agencies.
- The National Archives website provides Constitution Day activities and materials.
- The Library of Congress American Memory website provides numerous resources on the Constitution.
- The National Endowment for the Humanities provides content on the Constitution through the EDSITEMENT website.
- The U.S. Senate has posted material from the Legislative Branch.
- The National History Education Clearinghouse (NHEC) has Constitution information on its website.
Finally, the U.S. Census Bureau also has more resources available at its Statistics in Schools website.
Memos to be released:
- 2019-103: Revised: Public Comment: Perkins V Performance Assessment Targets
- 2019-107: ISTE Leadership to attend the Wyoming Innovations in Learning Conference
- 2019-108: WDE949 – Student Transcripts
- 2019-109: WDE950 – Graduating Student Transcripts