CHEYENNE – The Wyoming Department of Education (WDE) will host stakeholder listening sessions throughout the state in April to gather feedback on how Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education grant funding will be administered in Wyoming over the next five years. The Perkins Act provides the majority of funding for Career and Technical Education (CTE) in Wyoming. Congress passed the latest version of the Perkins Act (Perkins V) in July 2018, known as the “Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act.” Originally passed as the Vocational Education Act of 1963, it was renamed the Carl D. Perkins Act in 1984 and reauthorized in 1998 and 2006.
“First, I want to thank Senator Mike Enzi for leading the way in getting this important legislation reauthorized last year,” said State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jillian Balow. “Perkins funds will provide over $5 million to Wyoming during the 2019-20 school year for Career and Technical Education for our youth, and for adults who go back to school to explore new career opportunities. Wyoming, please help shape our new Perkins plan that will be written over the next year.”
The WDE will host sessions from 9-11 a.m., 1-3 p.m., and 5:30-7:30 p.m. in each location to accommodate industry partners, local educators, parents, students, and community members who are interested in sharing their thoughts on CTE in Wyoming. Dates and locations include:
- Thursday April 11, 2019 Eastern Wyoming Community College, Room #131, 3200 W. C St., Torrington.
- Friday April 12, 2019 Laramie County Community College, Union Pacific Room #130,1400 E. College Drive, Cheyenne.
- Monday April 15, 2019 Casper College SH #217, 125 College Drive, Casper.
- Tuesday April 16, 2019 Northern Wyoming Community College Flex Space in the Tech Center, 300 W. Sinclair, Gillette.
- Wednesday April 17, 2019 Sheridan School District #2 Administrative Offices in Boardroom, 201 N. Connor St., Sheridan.
- Thursday April 18, 2019 Northwest Community College Trapper Room, 231 W. 6th St., Powell.
- Tuesday April 23, 2019 Western Wyoming Community College Room #1309, 2500 College Drive, Rock Springs.
- Wednesday April 24, 2019 Central Wyoming Community College PTC 150, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton.
- Monday April 29, 2019 Virtual Meeting via ZOOM or via phone at 1-669-900-6833, Meeting ID: 493 757 259.
– END –
Michelle Panos, Communications Director