CHEYENNE – The Wyoming Department of Education (WDE) is offering multiple ways for the public to give more input on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). A statewide listening tour and an online survey have been launched to continue stakeholder engagement on the implementation of ESSA in Wyoming.
“This really is an effort to continue the stakeholder engagement we began this summer with the virtual town halls,” said State Superintendent Jillian Balow. “We know that in order to build the best plan for Wyoming, we must hear from the people in our state about what they want from their public education system.”
The listening tour kicks off with a Community Roundtable at Casper College on October 26 with officials from the U.S. Department of Education. It will continue with WDE staff holding listening sessions in five locations:
- Nov. 3: Central Wyoming College, Student Center 103, Riverton
- Nov. 9: Gillette College, GCMN 120 Presentation Hall, Gillette
- Dec. 1: Western Wyoming Community College, RSC 3650 A and B Meeting Rooms, Rock Springs
- Dec. 7: Northwest College, Fagerberg Bldg. Room 70, Powell
- Dec. 8: Laramie County Community College, Center for Conferences and Institutes Room 121, Cheyenne
All listening sessions are scheduled for 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
The online survey is available at edu.wyoming.gov/essa through December 31, 2016 to gather further input, as is a link to volunteer to be on an ESSA Work Group, and information on the transition timeline and public input gathered so far.
– END –
Kari Eakins, Communications Director