During our recent Superintendent’s Summit (S5S), I announced a new teacher-leader development program called Level Up. In coming days, you will receive the official announcement, along with some of the exciting activities planned for this next year. In a few bullets, I want to describe the impetus for this program:
- Every teacher is a leader; all teachers need opportunities to hone their skills outside of the classroom and school. When quality teachers access relevant professional development, retention rates are higher.
- Since I have been Wyoming’s state Superintendent, each Wyoming Teacher of the Year has asked me how I could utilize them as an advocate for the profession and educational policy. Level Up is my response.
- Beyond the recognized teachers of the year, there are many promising teachers across our state, and not enough opportunities to develop teachers as leaders.
There will be more to come regarding Level Up!
October is Disability Awareness Month and educators everywhere are highlighting topics of awareness for learning disabilities, dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Down Syndrome, blindness, disability employment, and more. This year’s theme is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) 2019: The Right Talent, Right Now and celebrates contributions of workers with disabilities and spotlights the value of a workforce inclusive of their skills and talents.
Plan A School Counselor Professional Development Days continued across Wyoming this week. The forum explored changes in the Hathaway Scholarship Program post the passage of Senate File 43. WDE teammates brought the forum to Cheyenne, Rock Springs, Thermopolis, Casper, and Gillette.
Memos to be released:
- 2019-122: WDE684A Fall Subgroup Review Window Now Open
- 2019-123: Nominations Open for Presidential Cybersecurity Education Award
- 2019-124: Hathaway Scholarship Day – November 15
- 2019-125: Public Comment on Proposed Leader and Teacher Evaluation Rules
- 2019-126: Digital Threat Assessment Training Opportunities November 4-5