The Wyoming Classroom Connectivity Initiative is a coordinated effort to help improve school Wi-Fi access by providing school districts with technical assistance and professional development. The Initiative is a joint effort between the Office of the Governor, the Wyoming Department of Education, the Department of Enterprise Technology Services, and EducationSuperHighway—a national nonprofit focused on upgrading Internet access in K-12 schools across the country.
According to EducationSuperHighway’s “2015 State of the States” report, Wyoming currently ranks first in the nation in classroom broadband connectivity with 100% of school districts meeting the Federal Communications Commission’s 100 kbps per student bandwidth goal for digital learning. Nationwide, 77% of school districts currently meet the minimum standard. The Initiative is focused on ensuring that schools are equipped with the Wi-Fi connections necessary to ensure online learning can reach students’ devices, a critical next step in bringing 21st Century learning to Wyoming.The Connectivity Initiative will also allow the state take full advantage of available federal E-rate dollars for Wi-Fi. Initially the state worked to gain a better understanding of Wyoming school district Wi-Fi needs. The results of that investigation helped design a program to remove obstacles and ensure that every school receives targeted support.
Current Professional Development/Technical Assistance
Webinar Wednesdays: Smart Procurement for your Internal Network Upgrade
All sessions are held from 9-10am, MT.
- Wednesday, January 18 – Evaluating Your RFP Responses: Tips and tricks for working with vendors to get the best solution at the best price
- Wednesday, February 1 – Submitting Your Form 471: E-rate advice and support as you move towards procurement
- Wednesday, February 15 – Q&A Session: Ask an expert! Come with questions about upgrading your network
Past Professional Development/Technical Assistance Opportunities
Webinar: Maximizing Your Procurement Options: Learn when, where, and how to submit your 470s and RFPs to ensure the greatest response
Webinar: Category 2 RFP Deep Dive: Detailed walk through of a simple, consistent template for internal network upgrades
Webinar: Preparing Your RFP: What to include in your network upgrade bid
Webinar: Funding Your Upgrade: Understanding the cost of upgrading your internal networks and the E-rate Category 2 funding available
Webinar: Improving School Wi-Fi Networks
Wyoming Classroom Connectivity Launch Roadshow
- Introduction and Being a Better Buyer: Tips and tricks for planning and procuring networks
- Technology Decisions Deep Dive: Deep dive into technology decisions that need to be made in order to design a robust future-proof network given your needs and budget constraints
Useful Links and Resources
School WiFi Buyer’s Guide: Learn about wireless solutions and build your RFP requirements list.
Compare and Connect: Find out what other school districts are buying to support digital learning.
E-rate Category 2 Estimator