Under this section, the Wyoming Department of Education provides feedback and technical assistance on school climate matters that include, but are not limited to, anti-bullying grant information, suicide prevention information and resources, anti-bullying resources (both cyber and in-person), hazardous materials, school playground issues, statutory requirements for epinephrine auto-injectors, and common influencing agents on school climate.
Positive School Climate Grant
The Wyoming Department of Education (WDE) offers competitive grants that support anti-bullying and positive school climate efforts. Any school can apply for up to $9,000 to be used in the 2019-20 school year. Districts can apply for more than one school. No local funding is required. The grant application is due on May 3, 2019. Initial award announcements will be made in late May or early June.
Confidentially report anything that concerns or threatens you, your friends, your family or your community.
Suicide Prevention Resources
- The Jason Foundation has information related to the Jason Flatt Act.
- Wyoming Suicide Prevention Resource Guide: With Help Comes Hope is a suicide prevention resource guide.
- University of Wyoming Counseling Center includes national suicide hotlines and suicide prevention resources.
- Grace For 2 Brothers Educational Resources features online resources, mental health awareness, suicide prevention, anti-bullying, depression, statistics, and other resources.
- Crisis Text Line 24/7 Support includes trained volunteer crisis counselors.
- After Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools is a toolkit from the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention and the Suicide Prevention Resource Center.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is free, confidential support for people in distress through a national network.
- Classroom Mental Health has a toolkit for teachers, specific guidelines for helping students.
Bullying, Abuse, and Prevention Resources
- CharacterVideo provides videos and follow up questions that address bullying, cyber bullying, suicide prevention, drama, drug and alcohol awareness, resilience, dropout prevention, mental illness education, dealing with learning disabilities, good decision making, peer pressure, and other character education issues.
- Childhelp Speak Up Be Safe is a curriculum that helps students identify, prevent, and interrupt all forms of child abuse.
- International Institute of Restorative Practices – provides information and access to training on restorative practices in schools.
- Paxunited provides training on peer-to-peer mentoring and peer mediation.
- Safe School Ambassadors provides an Anti-bully training program for junior high and high school. It utilizes the power of the bystander.
- The Mentor Consulting Group provides mentoring training and covers must-do items when building a mentor program.
- Rachel’s Challenge can build connectivity and empathy in students.
- Second Step is a violence and child abuse prevention program.
- Olweus is a commonly used anti-bully training program for Wyoming schools.
- PromotePrevent has practical training for children and youth; is built on a Partner-Plan-Act process.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters helps children realize their potential and build their futures.
- Paxunited offers peer-to-peer focused mentoring for schools.
- The Mentoring Consulting Group offers a wide range of services to schools and districts regarding mentoring guidance and support.
- A Platform For Good has both a Parent’s Guide and a Student’s Guide to cyber bullying.
- Cyber Bully Help can offer assistance to the public regarding cyber bullying.
- Stop Bullying Now can offer strategies to stop bullying in schools and provide positive approaches to social development.
- Bully Police USA list anti-bullying laws in each state.
- The Wyoming Department of Education has other usable resources on bullying and other school climate issues.
- The Wyoming Association of School Resource Officers site shows how education and law enforcement can work together.
- Wyoming’s School Safety Anonymous Tip Line has the number every student should know to be able to confidentially warn school officials of danger.
- I-Safe offers digital programming lesson plans that address digital citizenship and E-Safety topics.
- The Jason Foundation has a crisis line that students can call regarding suicide prevention.
- Rose Brucia is working to reduce child abduction and increase prevention measures.
- Living Justice Press, IIRP, and Circle-Space all contain restorative justice information that can be useful in schools.
- Forty Ways to Make a More Positive Classroom Climate is an excerpt from The Bully Free Classroom, by Allan L. Beane, Ph.D.
- Avoiding Cyber Bullying contains statistics and tips.
- Character Counts contains a number of resources for teachers and coaches. It promotes Citizenship, Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, and Caring.
- The Josephson Institute seeks to increase the ethical commitment and practices in society as a whole by changing both personal and organizational behavior.
- What Will Matter provides thought provoking articles in character education. It is related to the Josephson Institute.
- Characters of Character provides resource books and social stories to make it easy for kids to internalize values.
- Wings for Kids is a free resource to promote positive character in schools via social emotional learning.
- Character.org has a number of free lesson plans that can be used at the elementary, middle school, and high school level.
- Character Ed has a number of usable free parenting resources as a subset of a larger Character Education Network /li>
- Good Character has a number of resources by way of lesson plans, activities, and programs that stand to help the teacher.
- Information on effective playground management, utilizing character education through play, can be found here.
- Youth Frontiers conducts retreats that are designed to inspire character in youth.
- Wyoming Facility Maintenance and Physical Security Conference – November 12 & 13 in Casper
- Guidelines for Administration of Stock Epinephrine Auto-Injectors in Wyoming Schools
State guidelines based on W.S. 21-4-316.
- Self-Administration of Medication Form
This sample form can be used for permission/records regarding self-administration of medication for life-threatening conditions.