Robin Cole RN MS
The State School Nurse (SSN) provides leadership and technical assistance to the state and local education and health agencies to strengthen the educational process and academic outcomes. When all students have access to improved health services, healthy educational practices and environments, students can be ready for learning. Support for the school health services and programming should align with current national evidence-based practices, models, and frameworks.
Effective statewide programming and positive student outcomes require strong continuous collaboration between state education, health, and community agencies. The SSN serves as liaison between health and education; providing statewide nursing leadership to ensure effective nursing services, develop and promote quality standards, and foster a better understanding regarding the role of the school nurses and the relationship between students’ health and their ability to learn (NASSNC, 2008).
Click here to subscribe to the School Nurses’ email group for communication, updates, professional development opportunities, and more.
Click here to view videos on the State School Nurse YouTube playlist.
Laws & Policies
- Immunizations Wyoming Statutes Wyoming Statutes (users can search individual statutes from the previous link).
- Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 35-4-101. Department of health to prescribe rules and regulations; penalty for violation; resisting or interfering with enforcement.
- Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 35-4-139. Childhood immunizations.
- Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 21-4-309. Mandatory immunizations for children attending schools; exceptions.
- Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 14-4-116. Mandatory immunizations for children attending child caring facilities.
- Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 33-24-157. Immunization administration-Pharmacies.
- Laws Administrative Rules
- Wyoming Immunization Program
- Chapter 1 Definitions and General Provisions 1-1 Chapter 1 Definitions and General Provisions Section 1. Authority. The Wyoming Department of Health (Department) promulgates
- Chapter 2 The Wyoming Vaccinates Important People Program 2-1 Chapter 2 The Wyoming Vaccinates Important People Program Section 1. Authority The Wyoming Department of Health (Department)
- Chapter 3 Mandatory Immunizations for Children Attending Schools and Child Caring Facilities 3-1 Chapter 3 Mandatory Immunizations for Children Attending Schools and Child Caring Facilities Section 1.
- Chapter 4 Duties of School and Child Care Facilities Administrators 4-1 Chapter 4 Duties of School and Child Caring Facility Administrators Section 1.
- Chapter 5 Wyoming Immunization information Systems 5-1 Chapter 5 Wyoming Immunization Information System Section 1.
- Wyoming Department of Health
- WDE Health & Safety
Trainings and Best Practices:
The University of Wyoming Project ECHO – Student Health provides ongoing support for school nurses and other professionals working to enhance the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of P-12 school-aged students.
Network participants include school nurses, school administrators, school counselors, health and physical education teachers, school psychologists, primary care providers, primary care staff, healthcare administrators, and state agency staff.
UW ECHO in Student Health is a collaboration with Rutgers School Health Leadership Program and the UW School of Nursing.
For materials, enroll in the UW ECHO in Student Health course.
To attend training, register for biweekly sessions on the UW Student Health site.
- Guidelines for Administration of Stock Epinephrine Auto-Injectors in Wyoming Schools (W.S. 21-4-316).
- This sample form can be used for permission/records regarding self-administration of medication for life-threatening conditions. Self-Administration of Medication Form.
- Concussion Model Protocol andSuggested Guidelines for Management of Concussion in Sports.
Drug Abuse Prevention: EVERFI is a free resource for educators and resources include substance use & abuse programs.