Home-Schooling in Wyoming: FAQs

Wyoming Department of Education > For District Leadership > School Programs > Home Schools > Home-Schooling in Wyoming: FAQs

Q: How do I home-school my child in Wyoming?
A: Home-schooling in Wyoming is governed by state statute. A parent who wishes to home-school must contact the superintendent’s office of the district where he or she lives and sign a document indicating that the child is being home-schooled. Each district has different procedures, but every parent must turn in to their district the curriculum they will be using to teach their child during that academic year in the seven subjects required by law (reading, writing, mathematics, civics, history, literature and science). If a child is of the age of compulsory school attendance (ages 7-16) and a parent fails to file the necessary paperwork, the child will be considered truant under state law and the parents may be prosecuted.

Q: My family has strong religious beliefs. Are we required to teach things that are in violation of our beliefs?
A: Wyoming Statute 21-4-101(a)(vi) states: “…These curriculum requirements do not require any private school or home-based educational program to include in its curriculum any concept, topic or practice in conflict with its religious doctrines…”

Q: Where can I read Wyoming’s home-school statutes?
A: All current Wyoming statutes are available on the LSO’s Website. Click on “State Statutes and Constitution” to see all state statutes. In particular, Home-schools are defined under Title 21, Chapter 4, Article 1.

Q: What are standards? How can I read the education standards for Wyoming?
A: Standards specify what students should know (mathematics computation, writing a paragraph, etc.) and to what depth they should know it (i.e. memorization, application, transfer). The standards now exist at all grade levels (K-12). Wyoming’s standards can be found at our Content and Performance Standards page.

For more information on Wyoming Standards, contact Barb Marquer at 307-777-5506 or barb.marquer@wyo.gov.

Q: Is testing required of home-school students?
A: No testing is required of home-school students. Home-school students are invited to participate in the state assessment, free of charge. The WY-TOPP assessment currently measures English Language Arts, Math, and Science. The test is administered in grades 1-10 in the Fall and in grades 3-10 in the Winter. The ACT assessment measures reading, writing, language, math and science at eleventh grade. To participate in the assessments, contact your local district. For more information on testing, contact Jessica Steinbrenner at 307-777-8568 or jessica.steinbrenner@wyo.gov.

Q: Can a home-school student participate in extra-curricular activities (sports, music, and clubs)?
A: Wyoming law requires equal access to school activities sanctioned by the Wyoming High School Activities Association. Participation in activities at the elementary and junior high levels is a local district decision, and should be part of local board policy. Any fees imposed by the district should be the same as those applied to students enrolled in the public school.

Q: What are the accredited home-school programs in Wyoming?
A: All home-schools in Wyoming are considered non-accredited private schools.

Q: Can my student take some courses at the local school?
A: A local district has the right to determine whether home-school students can enroll in certain courses (such as a science lab or shop class at the high school). This should be written in school board policy and should be uniformly applied to all students (i.e. the district cannot allow one family to participate and then exclude another). No fees can be assessed unless they are required of students regularly enrolled in the public school.

Q: What are the graduation requirements in Wyoming?
A: Wyoming’s graduation requirements can be reviewed and printed by visiting the Secretary of State’s website.

  1. Click “Current Rules”.
  2. Click on “Education, Dept. of (206)”.
  3. Click on “General Agency, Board or Commission Rules (0002)”.
  4. Locate  “Chapter 31: Wyoming Graduation Requirements” and click on it.

Alternatively, search for “chapter 31” in the search box, and click the top-most dropdown options until you see the link for Chapter 31.

Q: How does a home-school student earn a diploma?
A: Because home-schools are non-accredited private schools, home-schoolers receive no diploma from the school or the state. Some commercial curriculum companies do offer diplomas to students who complete their company’s requirements. Some colleges allow prospective students to complete an entrance exam or portfolio. Another option is to complete the GED.

Q: Can my student enroll in college or join the military with a home-school education?
A: Many colleges and universities accept transcripts from home-schooling families as evidence of having completed a standard curriculum. All four military branches accept a minimum number of home-schooled students. Each branch has a set percentage for each year. If your student is interested in military service, you may want to contact the specific branch of interest for further information.

Q: My home-schooled child is returning to public school. Who determines what grade my child is in?
A: Because Wyoming does not require testing of home-school students or any other form of accountability it is up to the local school to decide what grade a home-schooled child returning to public school should enter. Local schools do not have to accept credits earned through home-schooling.

Q: Can my home-school student qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship?
A: Home-school students can qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship by submitting a qualifying ACT or WorkKeys score to the University of Wyoming or one of the Wyoming Community Colleges. Applicants also need to produce a home-school transcript. For more information on the Hathaway Scholarship program, contact Brad Barker at 307-777-6226 or brad.barker@wyo.gov.

Q: My neighbor is home-schooling her children and I don’t believe they are actually being taught. They are running the streets all day. Who do I call?
A: If you believe a child is being neglected, you should notify your local office of the Department of Family Services to file a complaint.

Q: Who do I contact at the Wyoming Department of Education for questions about home-schools?
A: Trenton Vonburg, 307-777-8505 or trenton.vonburg@wyo.gov.