The National Career Development Association
The National Career Development Association (NCDA) is the first, longest running (founded in 1913) and preeminent career development association in the world. NCDA developed the best practice Career Development Facilitator training to provide individuals with relevant skills and knowledge to assist others in planning careers and obtaining meaningful work. NCDA has prepared over 18,000 CDFs for this international certification. The only prerequisite is a high school degree.
Career Development Competencies addressed by the NCDA CDF Curriculum:
- Helping Skills- Be proficient in the basic career facilitating process while including productive interpersonal relationships.
- Labor Market Information and Resources- Understand labor market and occupational information and trends. Be able to use current resources.
- Assessment- Comprehend and use (under supervision) both formal and informal career development assessments with emphasis on relating appropriate ones to the population served.
- Diverse Populations- Recognize special needs of various groups and adapt services to meet their needs.
- Ethical and Legal Issues- Follow the CDF code of ethics and know current legislative regulations.
- Career Development Models- Understand career development theories, models, and techniques as they apply to lifelong development, gender, age, and ethnic background.
- Employability Skills- Know job search strategies and placement techniques, especially in working with specific groups.
- Training Clients and Peers- Prepare and develop materials for training programs and presentations.
- Program Management/Implementation- Understand career development programs and their implementation, and work as a liaison in collaborative relationships.
- Promotion and Public Relations- Market and promote career development programs with staff and supervisors.
- Technology- Comprehend and use career development computer applications.
- Consultation- Accept suggestions for performance improvement from consultants or supervisors.
For more information of CDF, please visit NCDA’s website.
Links to Career Counseling Websites
- National Career Development Association: http://www.ncda.org/
- Wyoming School Counseling Association: http://www.wyoca.org/wysca.php
- Wyoming Counseling Association: http://www.wyoca.org/
- American School Counselor Association: http://www.schoolcounselor.org/
- Colorado School Counselor Association: http://www.coloradoschoolcounselor.org/
- ASCA National Model: http://www.ascanationalmodel.org/
- World-of-Work Map: http://www.act.org/world/plan_world.html
- Career Pathway Roadmaps: http://lccc.wy.edu/highschool/roadmaps
- Career Cluster Interest Survey: http://www.iseek.org/careers/clusterSurvey
- Career Search: http://kaarme.com/careers
- Pinterest for School Counselors: http://pinterest.com/bthelms/school-counseling-resources/
- The School Counselor Toolkit: website here
- Literacy Resources for School Counselors: website here