Wyoming Statewide Alternate Assessment – Wy-ALT
Wyoming has rigorous academic standards for all students. The Wyoming Department of Education believes that the results of the Wy-ALT, along with other measures of student performance, will enable teachers to provide individualized academic instruction to enable students to achieve high standards of academic performance and improve instructional programs. A student’s participation in the Wy-ALT is appropriate when the Individualized Education Program Team has determined that the student’s academic achievement is best measured by Alternate Academic Achievement Standards, consistent with Wyoming’s participation requirements.
About the Program
The Wy-ALT is administered to students in grades 3 – 11 in ELA, and mathematics and to students in grades 4, 8 – 11 in science. The Wy-ALT is an individually administered student performance assessment which students demonstrate their mastery of grade-level-aligned extended Wyoming Academic Content Standards.
The grade-level extended Wyoming Academic Content Standards specify essential learning for all students who participate in the Wy-ALT. The extended standards, though reduced in breadth, depth and complexity, are linked to the Wyoming Content and Performance Standards and define the knowledge and skills, which students are expected to master at appropriate levels of challenge. Teachers ensure access to the general academic curriculum through teaching and learning opportunities aligned to the extended Academic Benchmarks. Teachers employ a wide range of instructional strategies as determined by a student’s individual learning characteristics and communication modes and levels, and through the use of adapted, grade-level appropriate materials.
2015 Wy-ALT Administration Documents
- Directions for Administration - Coming Soon!
- Building Coordinators’ Manual - Coming Soon!
- Wy-ALT Portal
Links and Downloads
- Wyoming Academic Content Standards for Students with the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities
- Draft extensions aligned to WY CPS 2012 – ELA Grades K-5
- Draft extensions aligned to WY CPS 2012 – ELA Grades 6-High School
- Draft extensions aligned to WY CPS 2012 – Math Grades K-5
- Draft extensions aligned to WY CPS 2012 – Math Grades 6-High School
- Requirements for Participation in Wyoming’s Alternate Assessment
- PAWS-ALT Spring 2012 Technical Manual